Effective waste management - the cornerstone of environment-focussed activities
According to data published by the Central Statistical Office, Poles generated over 13 million tonnes of waste in 2020. 59% was recovered, i.e. recycled, subjected to biological processes (composting or fermentation), or thermal transformation processing in energy recovery procedures. On the other hand, 41% of the waste, i.e. over 5 million tonnes, was rendered harmless. The statistics suggest that although the raw materials recovery from waste seems to reach a high level in Poland, we still have a room for improvement.
Effective waste management - the cornerstone of environment-focussed activities There are tons of factors crucial for efficiently waste to material recovery, including, for example, the efficient use of natural resources which goes in parallel with economic growth. Thus, society's resource demand is met, while environmental exploitation's negative aspects are reduced. In addition, we keep future generations in mind.
Waste management efficiency is also measured by meeting goals. For example, the recycling levels in individual municipalities. Which measures help to influence the efficiency of waste processing and raw materials recovery? First of all, meticulous segregation of waste at all levels should be mentioned: production plants, public places, ending with private households.
Important elements of municipal waste management systems also include selective municipal waste collection points, i.e. PSZOK. Environmentally beneficial solution is also practical for residents, as itt enables them to dispose of certain types of waste, including electronic equipment, bulky, hazardous and raw materials waste. Such waste pick-up makes further selective management possible. These and similar practices make it possible to reduce the share of this type of waste in mixed waste, which results in an increased stream of waste directed to recycling and reuse.
Based on the data for 2020, quoted by the Teraz Środowisko portal, there were 1,306 waste collection companies operating in Poland, complemented with over 2,200 PSZOKs. There were 271 landfills in the country, the total area of which amounted to almost 1,700 ha. Although in 2020 a statistical Pole generated 342 kg of waste, already in 2021 it was disturbing 358 kg. We may see a similar growth also in the coming years, which shows that recycling of waste is no longer an option, but a necessity.